Bread pudding is a popular dessert in the cuisines of various countries around the world. Bread pudding should not be confused with bread and butter pudding.
Make your Bread Pudding with this simple and easy to make recipe!
When it comes to comfort food desserts, bread pudding leads the pack.
It’s easy to make and it uses up all of your leftover bread, so let’s make some bread pudding.
We’re going to make a really basic bread pudding here today, but I’m going to give
you options of when you can add other flavors.
The most important part of bread pudding of course is the bread.
We’ve taken some challah bread here, which is of course an egg based bread.
Brioche is also an egg based bread.
Really tasty for bread pudding.
You’ll notice it has a bit of a yellow tone to it, but it’s sweet and super, super tender.
Makes a great bread pudding.
3 cups milk
¾ cup granulated or brown sugar
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
pinch ground nutmeg
12 cups cubed challah or brioche (or other egg-based bread), cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1-pound loaf)
½ cup any flavoring ingredient (chocolate, dried berries, apples, etc.…)
- Cut the bread open and leave it overnight on a baking sheet on your counter, so it dries a little bit.
- We’re going to butter the pan and grease it so it comes out easily.
- So I’m going to beat up my eggs here, and I’m going to pour in my milk.
- And of course because this is a dessert, we’re going to add some sugar and sweeten that up.
- Whisk that together until you can no longer feel the sugar.
- Let’s add cinnamon.
- Add a little pure vanilla extract.
- And then we’re going to grate in some fresh nutmeg.
- Whisk it together well, so you break that egg up and dissolve that sugar.
- Now, let’s transfer everything to our greased pan here.
- Now, once the custard is all in the bread, we want that bread to absorb that custard so that when it bakes, it bakes evenly.
- So you’re going to use your hands and press that bread down into the mixture.
- Once this has sat for about twenty minutes and your oven is preheated to 350 degrees, pop this in for about an hour.
- Your Bread Pudding is ready!