Chicken and dumplings is a popular dish, commonly found in the American South and Midwestern United States. He is credited with a French-Canadian origin during the Great Depression.
Learn how to make it with this recipe!
Chicken and Dumplings
To make your Chicken and Dumplings, use the ingredients from the list below and follow the step-by-step instructions.
1 whole chicken insides removed
1 onion quartered
2-3 large carrots cut into thirds
2-3 stalks celery cut into thirds
8 cups chicken broth + additional water to cover
Salt & pepper to taste
1 cup self rising flour plus extra for dusting
2 heaping tablespoons shortening
A heaping 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup buttermilk or milk
- Place a whole chicken in a large pot along with a few stalks of celery and one large onion, quartered;
- Cover with 8 cups of chicken broth to cover (adding water if you need it to cover the chicken);
- Bring to a soft boil, cover;
- Cook until the chicken is done;
- Remove the cooked chicken from the broth;
- When the chicken cools, shred it and discard of the bones and skin;
- Drain the broth from the veggies;
- Discard the veggies (or add them back to the pot if you want);
- Pour the broth back into the pot;
- Add the shredded chicken to the pot;
- To a bowl, add 1 cup of self rising flour;
- Add a couple tablespoon of shortening;
- Cut the shortening in with the flour using your hands or a pastry cutter;
- Add 1/4 cup buttermilk;
- Dust hands with flour and roll the dumplings into small balls;
- Roll each dumpling in flour;
- Place the dumplings in the pot and simmer for 20 minutes, gently turning halfway through;
- The flour coated dumplings will thicken the broth while it cooks;
- Your Chicken and Dumplings is ready!