Chicken tortilla soup is a popular Mexican-inspired soup made with a flavorful broth, shredded chicken, vegetables, spices, and topped with crispy tortilla strips. It is a delicious and hearty soup known for its rich and comforting flavors. The soup typically includes ingredients such as tomatoes, onions, garlic, bell peppers, corn, black beans, and various spices like cumin, chili powder, and paprika.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chicken tortilla soup is a popular choice in many Mexican and Tex-Mex restaurants, and it’s also enjoyed as a homemade dish. It offers a satisfying combination of textures, from the tender chicken to the crunchy tortilla strips, and a delightful balance of flavors, including the warmth of spices and the freshness of the toppings.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced (optional, for heat)
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
4 cups chicken broth
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh cilantro, chopped (for garnish)
Lime wedges (for serving)
Tortilla strips or chips (for serving)
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, avocado slices, sour cream
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and sauté for about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic, diced bell pepper, and jalapeño pepper (if using). Cook for another 2-3 minutes until the vegetables have softened.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, diced green chilies, cumin, chili powder, and paprika. Cook for 1-2 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes to develop the flavors.
- Add the shredded chicken, corn kernels, and black beans to the pot. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, prepare the tortilla strips. You can either cut corn tortillas into thin strips or use store-bought tortilla chips. If using corn tortillas, you can lightly brush them with oil and bake them in a preheated oven at 375°F (190°C) for about 10 minutes until crispy.
- Serve the chicken tortilla soup hot, garnished with fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice. Top with tortilla strips or chips, and add any optional toppings you prefer, such as shredded cheese, avocado slices, or sour cream.