Coleslaw or cole slaw is a salad that consists of finely chopped raw white cabbage, and accompanied by equally chopped carrots. There are many variations of the recipe that can include other ingredients such as red cabbage, pineapple, or apple. This salad is mixed with different dressings such as vegetable oil, vinegar or even a vinaigrette.
More modern versions of coleslaw contain mayonnaise, and even depending on regional variations, some recipes incorporate mustard. However, a very numerous variety of dressings can be added. Generally this salad is usually dressed a few hours before being served so that the ingredients settle well.
In Venezuela it is called a grated salad, although it is generally prepared with cabbage instead of cabbage.
Check out an optimal recipe from Classic Coleslaw for you to make a quick and easy job!
To prepare your Coleslaw, you will need these ingredients listed below. Follow the preparation mode step-by-step.
6 cups shredded green cabbage
2 cups shredded purple cabbage
1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced
3 carrots shredded
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
- You’re looking for about a 3-to-1 ratio of green cabbage to purple cabbage to make it nice and pretty, so transfer this all to a mixing bowl.
- Add 1/2 sweet onion thinly sliced;
- Add 3 carrots shredded;
- In another bowl, add 1/2 cup mayonnaise;
- Add 2 tablespoons dijon mustard;
- Add 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar;
- Add 1/4 teaspoon black pepper;
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt;
- Add to the bowl of vegetables;
- Cover it with plastic wrap and pop it in the fridge for 1-2 hours before serving;
- Your Classic Coleslaw is ready!