Edible cookie dough refers to a type of cookie dough that is safe to eat raw, unlike traditional cookie dough which is typically meant to be baked before consumption. Edible cookie dough is made using ingredients that have been treated or selected specifically to eliminate or reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses associated with consuming raw eggs or uncooked flour.
In traditional cookie dough recipes, raw eggs are used as a binding agent, and raw flour may contain harmful bacteria. However, in edible cookie dough recipes, these ingredients are often replaced or modified to ensure safety. For example, pasteurized eggs or egg substitutes can be used, and the flour may be heat-treated to eliminate potential pathogens.
Edible Cookie Dough
Edible cookie dough typically has a similar texture and taste to traditional cookie dough, but it is formulated to be safe for consumption without baking. It is commonly enjoyed as a standalone treat, served in scoops or rolled into balls. Some variations of edible cookie dough also include additional mix-ins like chocolate chips, sprinkles, or other flavors to enhance the taste.
It’s important to note that not all store-bought cookie dough or homemade cookie dough recipes are safe to eat raw. Always check the label or recipe instructions to determine if it is specifically labeled or formulated as edible cookie dough.
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract to the butter-sugar mixture and mix well to combine.
- Gradually add the all-purpose flour and salt to the mixture, stirring until fully incorporated. The dough should come together and be smooth.
- If desired, fold in the chocolate chips to evenly distribute them throughout the dough.
- At this point, you can either enjoy the dough as is or refrigerate it for about 30 minutes to firm it up slightly.
- Serve the edible cookie dough in small scoops or roll it into balls. You can also add extra toppings like sprinkles, crushed cookies, or additional chocolate chips if desired.