Eggplant Parmesan is a popular Italian dish that consists of breaded and fried slices of eggplant, topped with tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese.
The dish is typically served as a main course, although it can also be served as a side dish or appetizer.
2 large eggplants, sliced into rounds
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
1 cup vegetable oil, for frying
2 cups marinara sauce
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Fresh basil, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Prepare 3 shallow dishes: one with the flour, one with the beaten eggs, and one with the breadcrumbs.
- Dip each eggplant slice into the flour, then into the eggs, and finally into the breadcrumbs, making sure to coat well.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry the eggplant slices in batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Spread a thin layer of marinara sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- Layer the fried eggplant slices over the sauce, then top with more sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Repeat this layering process until all ingredients are used up, finishing with a layer of cheese on top.
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving, and garnish with fresh basil if desired.