Pancake is a type of dough fried in little oil on a hot plate or skillet, basically made with eggs, flour and milk. There are many regional variations of pancakes, some containing yeast or other ingredients.
American-style pancakes often use honey as a sauce, adding a special, sweet flavor to pancakes, or American Pancakes as they are called in the United States. The name comes from the words “pan” (pan or frying pan) and “cake” (cake).
Fluffy PancakesCuisine: United StatesDifficulty: Easy
To prepare your pancake, use these ingredients from the list and follow the instructions in the preparation mode.
1 1/2 cups (195 grams) all-purpose flour (see note below for how to measure flour)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder, see notes for substituting baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of fine sea or table salt or 3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 1/4 cups (295 ml) milk, dairy or non-dairy
1 large egg
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for skillet
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the dry ingredients you will need 1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt. Whisk them together really well;
- Now we need some butter — and it needs to be melted. Use a microwave or stovetop.
- We also need milk — dairy or non-dairy — and it needs to be at room temperature. So if you are like me and have cold milk, warm it up slightly.
- Alright, combine the warmed milk and butter, and then whisk in 1 egg as well as 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- To make the batter, combine the dry and wet ingredients. I find that pouring the wet ingredients into the dry and using a fork to mix them is best.
- The batter can be a little lumpy, but if you see lots of flour pockets, give it a few more stirs until they are mostly mixed in.
- I use a good quality non-stick pan over medium heat. Sprinkling a little water into the pan is a good test. If it dances around, you are good to go.
- You can make your pancakes any size you’d like, but for me, I find a 1/4-cup measuring cup is perfect.
- When you see that the edges are starting to dry and bubbles start to appear and pop, flip it over and cook another minute or so.