Gluten-free bread is a type of bread that does not contain gluten, a protein composite found in wheat, barley, rye, and triticale. Gluten is responsible for the elastic texture in dough and helps bread maintain its shape and structure.
Gluten Free Bread
Gluten-free bread is specifically made for individuals who have gluten sensitivity, celiac disease, or wheat allergies. These conditions can cause adverse reactions when gluten is consumed. People with celiac disease have an autoimmune reaction to gluten, which damages the lining of the small intestine. Therefore, they need to strictly avoid gluten-containing foods, including regular bread.
2 cups gluten-free flour blend (a pre-made mix or a combination of gluten-free flours such as rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, and/or almond flour)
1/2 cup sorghum flour (or another gluten-free flour of your choice)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/4 cup psyllium husk powder
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon sugar or honey
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil or melted butter
1 1/2 cups warm water (around 110°F/43°C)
- In a small bowl, combine the warm water, sugar (or honey), and yeast. Stir gently and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes until it becomes frothy.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the gluten-free flour blend, sorghum flour, ground flaxseed, psyllium husk powder, and salt.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil (or melted butter).
- Stir the ingredients together until a sticky dough forms. If the dough seems too dry, gradually add a little more warm water, about 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is soft and pliable.
- Transfer the dough to a greased or parchment-lined bread loaf pan.
- Smooth out the top of the dough using wet hands or a wet spatula.
- Cover the pan loosely with a clean kitchen towel and let the dough rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, or until it has doubled in size. This rising time may vary depending on the temperature and humidity of your kitchen.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) while the dough is rising.
- Once the dough has risen, place the bread pan in the preheated oven and bake for about 40-45 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for a few minutes. Then, transfer the bread to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.