The ‘Green bean is an American cuisine dish that is generally served as an accompaniment to Thanksgiving dinner. The main ingredient in this dish are green beans served in a casserole (casserole) with cream of mushrooms, and abundant fried onion. The casserole usually has black pepper and / or soy sauce as less traditional ingredients.
Learn how to make your Green Bean Casserole in an easy and simple way with this recipe!
Green Bean Casserole
To make your Green Bean Casserole you will need the ingredients from the list. Follow the step-by-step preparation mode and watch the video for more details.
250g Green beans
4 Garlic cloves
4 Rashers of bacon
40ml Double cream
Knob of butter
Salt and pepper (to season)
1 tbsp Plain white flour
- French fried onions
- To begin with take 400g of washed mushrooms and slice.
- Now take a large saucepan and place over a medium heat on the stove.
- Add a knob of butter and allow to melt then add in the sliced mushrooms.
- Also add 4 finely chopped garlic cloves and 4 rashers or chopped bacon (if you want to keep it vegetarian, simply skip this step out).
- Fry these ingredients for 5 minutes, making sure some of the juices from the mushrooms remain in the pan.
- To these juices, add 1 tbsp of plain flour.
- Mix the flour into the juices until the sauce becomes thicker.
- Next, pour in 40ml of double or heavy cream then top the ingredients up with vegetable stock until the ingredients are just covered.
- Give everything in the saucepan a stir then leave to simmer over a low heat for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan, bring some water up to boiling point and blanch 250g or green beans.
- After the 5 minutes, take the green beans from the saucepan and place them in a bowl of cold water (which will stop them cooking).
- After 15 minutes of the mushroom sauce thickening up, add the green beans to the saucepan.
- Mix them in until all coated in the sauce, then take an oven dish.
- Pour the content of the saucepan into the dish and again, make sure those beans are coated in that lovely mushroom sauce.
- Then place into an oven that’s been preheated to 180c, which with 350f.
- Then leave to bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile we’ll prepare some French fried onions for the topping.
- They’re easy to make because all you have to do is slice an onion, coat the onions in some milk and flour, then fry in a hot pan with some oil.
- When they’ve turned lovely and golden, set aside.
- After 15 minutes of baking, remove the green bean casserole from the oven.
- Again, give it a stir to make sure it’s all cooked and the sauce is lovely and thick.
- The add the french fried onions to the top.
- Also, grate over some parmesan cheese then your green bean casserole is ready to enjoy.