Granola is a food made up of nuts, rolled oats mixed with honey (or papelón) and other natural ingredients. The mixture is baked until crisp. During the cooking process the mixture is stirred to maintain the loose consistency typical of cereals eaten for breakfast. Dried fruits are sometimes added, especially raisins or dates; also sometimes pieces of other fruits such as banana are added.
Learn how to make homemade granola with this recipe!
My granola recipe is super simple to make, and it’s so much less expensive than any granola you would buy in the store.
Check the ingredients list and follow the step-by-step preparation mode so that your homemade granola is perfect!
4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats 320g
1 cup whole almonds¹ 125g
1 cup dried cranberries² 160g
2 Tablespoons ground flax seed optional
1/3 cup honey 80ml
1/3 cup canola or vegetable oil 80ml
1/3 cup brown sugar firmly packed (100g)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg white
- To get started, the first thing you’re going to want to do is pre-heat your oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, we will need our oats. You’ll need 4 cups of old-fashioned oats for my granola recipe.
- We’ll also add 1 cup of nuts.
- I’m going to be using whole almonds, but if you want to substitute a different nut that would be fine.
- Pecans or cashews would also be great options.
- Next, I’m adding 1 cup of dried cranberries.
- If you wanted to use raisins instead that would also work, but I hate raisins so we’re sticking with cranberries.
- I also like to add a little bit of ground flaxseed to my granola. This is 2 tablespoons of flaxseed.
- I’m just gonna use a spatula to toss together all of these ingredients until they’re nicely combined.
- So I am going to set my oat mixture aside for now and I’m going to need a separate bowl so we can combine our wet ingredients.
- Start with 1/3 cup of honey.
- Add 1/3 cup of canola or vegetable oil.
- 1/3 cup of firmly packed light brown sugar.
- 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract.
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Now you’re going to want to use a whisk to whisk these ingredients together until they’re completely combined.
- Now there’s one more liquid ingredient that we’re going to add to our other liquid ingredients, in just a minute. Now that’s one large egg white, however, before we add it to our other ingredients, we are going to use a whisk to beat this until it’s frothy, so about 30 seconds.
- We’ll add this beaten egg white into our honey mixture.
- And we’ll just whisk again until that’s nicely combined.
- So now let’s bring back our oat mixture, and we’re going to pour this honey mixture into the oats. Make sure we get all of that in there.
- Stir these ingredients together until all of our dry ingredients are coated by this honey mixture.
- So our granola is now ready to bake, so you’re going to need a cookie sheet, and I’ve lined this one with a silicone baking mat. if you don’t have one, you can just use parchment paper instead.
- I’m just gonna pour this granola onto the baking sheet. So now you want to use your spatula to make sure you smooth this evenly over your pan.
- You want a nice even layer of granola. That way none of it burns and you want it to go right up to the edge of your pan.
- Now we’ll transfer our granola to our 275 degree fahrenheit preheated oven where it will need to bake for about 50 to 55 minutes.
- Once this homemade granola has finished baking, you’ll notice it has a nice deeper golden-brown color to it.
- You’re going to let it sit until it’s cooled completely.
- Now you can use a wooden spoon, or a spatula, or even your hands to break it up into nice clumpy pieces.
- Your homemade granola is ready!