Teriyaki (照り焼き or てりやき) is a cooking technique in Japanese cuisine in which food is roasted (baked or grilled) in a sweet marinade sauce. The word “teriyaki” derives from the word “teri”, which refers to the shine that the sauce gives it, and “yaki”, which refers to the method of cooking it (grilled). The traditional way of cooking meat is to dip it into the sauce or brush it with the sauce several times until it is done.
Tare (タレ) is traditionally made by mixing and heating soy sauce with sake (or mirin) and sugar (or honey). The sauce is boiled and reduced to the desired thickness, then used to marinate the meat, which is then roasted or grilled. Ginger is sometimes added, and the final dish can be garnished with spring onions.
Learn how to make a Homemade Teriyaki Sauce in a simple and easy way with this recipe!
Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
I want to show you an easy way to make Teriyaki sauce at home, so you don’t need to buy teriyaki sauce in the bottle anymore.
Yes. It’s that delicious. So let’s get started!
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of mirin
1/4 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of honey
1/2 cup of sake
2 tbsp. of grated ginger
2 tbsp. of grated garlic
- Grate the ginger and garlic. You will need 2 tbsp of grated ginger and 2 tbsp of grated garlic.
- In a saucepan, add soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, honey, grated garlic and grated ginger.
- Start the fire to high heat and give the combination a quick stir.
- When the sauce start to boil, lower the heat to medium low and cook for about 10 minutes.
- You can use it to marinate or use it as a glaze and make delicious dishes such as chicken teriyaki or salmon teriyaki.
- With all the ingredients in the pan, you’ll start out with a little bit more than 2 cups After cooking for 10 minutes, the sauce will reduce to about 1 and a half cup The consistency will also become thicker.
- Let it cool down completely and your quick and easy authentic homemade teriyaki sauce is done!