Macaroni and cheese (mac ‘n’ cheese) is a casserole, whose main ingredients are macaroni (often called elbow macaroni, ‘elbow macaroni ‘in the United States) and cheese sauce. Traditionally, cheddar (or processed cheese similar to cheddar) is used, although other varieties may be used. Similarly, other types of pasta can be used, despite which it retains the name.
In its homemade preparation, the cheese is usually prepared as if it were a mornay sauce, with butter and cheese cooked in a roux. The final texture of this cheese sauce should be similar to a cream. The macaroni used are usually medium in size, almost longer than thick.
There are also packaged versions, consisting of dried pasta and cheese to which butter (or margarine) and milk or water are added. Sometimes other ingredients are also added, such as beef, ketchup, jalapenos, sliced hot dogs, ham, bacon, tuna, tomatoes, and other vegetables.
Check out a great Mac and Cheese recipe!
Mac and Cheese
Let’s make a single serving of macaroni and cheese. If there’s one recipe every home cook should have in their arsenal of recipes, I think it should be a glorious homemade macaroni and cheese recipe.
One that can be pulled out the instant of craving hits for a creamy cheesy pasta. Macaroni and cheese is classic comfort food and since this easy recipe takes just minutes to make it’s a recipe you can enjoy making over and over again. In the amount of time it takes for you to open up a box of packaged macaroni and cheese, homemade version and just that same amount of time. So let’s get started!
2 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni (or other pasta shape)
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/2 cup milk (use any percentage or almond milk)
1/2 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- We’re going to take 1 tablespoon of butter and we’re going to melt it in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Then we’re going to add in 1 tablespoon of flour and we’re going to stir it for about a minute and you want to stir it until there are no lumps remaining.
- And then we’re going to whisk in half a cup of milk and you can use any percentage milk; whole milk, skim milk, even almond milk will work.
- Then we’re going to add in a half a cup of shredded cheese, an eighth of a teaspoon of dry mustard and an eighth of a teaspoon of salt.
- And we’re going to stir this until the cheese melts.
- Then we’re going to stir in two ounces of pasta. I like to use elbow macaroni but use any kind of small pasta you have on hand.
- Your Mac and Cheese is ready!