The meatloaf is a dish whose main ingredient is meat, which consists of minced beef, veal, lamb or pork (sometimes a combination of some) and dressed with breadcrumbs (sometimes cereal grains are added) and spices In Costa Rica there is a similar dish known as rolled meat (or lomo fingido).
It is usually compact in the shape of a rectangular bar and for cooking it is usually baked or smoked, it is generally served hot as part of the main dish, although it can also be served cold as a cold cut. In some respects it is similar to pâté, which uses much more finely minced meat. It is considered a world dish, in almost every kitchen in the world there is a dish with similar characteristics, making it impossible to determine its origin.
Learn how to make delicious meatloaf with this recipe!
I have a super tasty and easy meatloaf that you can do in your own home. I’m also going to be making some roast potatoes and then a little later in the video I’m gonna be doing a sauce from this area as well in Catalonia.
1 Medium Onion
2 cloves of garlic
1.5 lbs Ground Beef
0.5 lbs Ground Pork
1 TBS Thyme
1 TBS Oregano
1/4 TSP salt
1 cup Panade, Bread soaked in milk
1 clove of garlic
2 red bell peppers
1 can of tomato sauce or 5 tomatoes
1 TSP paprika
A sprig of Thyme or Rosemary
Salt to taste
- I’m going to be cutting the onions and garlic and I’m going to sautee them, I’m going to cut them very small and you’re gonna cook them until they are clear, the reason why is because the onions have a lot of water in them and I don’t want that water in the meatloaf otherwise it’s not gonna have a lot of flavor in it;
- I’m going to be adding what’s called Panade, and Panade is a French technique where you take basically any old bread that you have, or any pieces that you don’t want like the ends, you put it in a bowl, any stale pieces you’re going to fill it up to the top with milk and you’re gonna let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- After that, you’re going to pour the rest of the milk out and then you’re going to mash it with the fork or whatever you have, into a paste.
- I’m gonna be adding 2 pounds of ground meat, about 1.5 LBS of beef and then 0.5 LBS pork.
- I’m also going to be adding one tablespoon of thyme and one tablespoon of oregano, if you want to put rosemary in you can, it’s very flexible.
- Then I’m going to be adding the onions and garlic that we cooked earlier and a bit of salt.
- I’m also going to be adding three whole eggs and about half of the Panade that we mixed earlier.
- Now you’re going to mix (if it needs a little more Panade, then don’t be afraid to add a little more and again mix it very well);
- Now we’re ready just put it in whatever pan that you’re gonna use.
- We’re gonna first place the bacon, make sure that the oven is on and now we’re gonna lay the bacon. you can start on the sides and then we’re going to overlap or underlap on each side, okay so if you want to put bacon in the pan you’re going to put it all the way around.
- You can start adding the meatloaf;
- We’re going to start folding the rest of the bacon.
- Then you’re gonna put some tin foil on top, you’re gonna pop it in the oven at about 200 or 380 Fahrenheit and you’re gonna keep an eye on it. it’s gonna take about an hour to cook, depending on how good your oven is and while that’s cooking.
- I’m gonna make some roast potatoes and I’m gonna make some Samfaina for the potatoes you’re just going to cut them in any shape that you like. I’m gonna cut them lengthwise and maybe in quarters and put some salt pepper some olive oil as well and any herbs that you’re like.
- I’m gonna cut all the veg in mirepoix size. so more or less 1 centimeter by a centimeter.
- To make the samfaina you’re just gonna saute the onions you’re going to add the peppers you’re going to saute them and then add the rest of the veg, you can add a bit of pimenton (paprika) just a little.
- Add the tomato sauce about a quarter to half;
- then you can just let it sit on the stove for about 10 to 12 minutes or you can pop it in the oven.
- Your Meatloaf is ready!