A pinata cake is a type of cake that is hollow in the center and filled with candy or other treats, just like a pinata. The cake is typically made by baking two round cakes, cutting a hole in the center of one of the cakes, and then stacking the cakes on top of each other with the hollowed-out cake on top. The cavity in the center is then filled with candy, sprinkles, or other treats, and then the cake is frosted or decorated on the outside.
When the pinata cake is sliced, the hidden treats spill out just like a pinata. Pinata cakes are often used for special occasions like birthdays, baby showers, or other celebrations, and they can be customized with different cake flavors, frosting colors, and types of candy or other fillings.
2 round cakes (8 or 9 inch) of your choice of flavor
1 cup assorted candies (like M&Ms, Skittles, gummy bears, etc.)
2 cups buttercream frosting
Additional candies for decorating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to the temperature recommended on your cake mix box or recipe. Grease and flour two round cake pans.
- Prepare the cake batter according to the recipe instructions, and pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake the cakes according to the recipe instructions and let them cool completely.
- Once the cakes are cooled, use a serrated knife to carefully level the tops of each cake so they are flat.
- Place one cake on a plate or cake stand, and use a cookie cutter or knife to cut out a circle from the center of the cake, leaving about an inch of cake around the edges. Set aside the cake circle.
- Fill the cavity in the cake with the assorted candies.
- Place the second cake on top of the first cake, making sure it’s lined up evenly.
- Use a spatula to spread a thin layer of frosting all over the cake, sealing in the candies inside.
- Chill the cake in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to set the frosting.
- Once chilled, spread the remaining frosting all over the cake, covering it completely.
- Decorate the cake with additional candies, if desired.
- Place the reserved cake circle on top of the cake to cover the hole.
- Chill the cake until ready to serve.