Kartoffelsalat or potato salad is one of the best known dishes in German cuisine. It is a dish composed mainly of boiled potatoes accompanied by different ingredients. This salad has various names depending on the area where it is consumed or made, for example, in the Ruhr area it is called Erpelschlut. Kartoffelsalat’s name literally translates from German as “potato salad”. In Latin America the potato is known as potato for what would be called “potato salad”.
Learn how to make a potato salad with this simple and easy recipe!
Make this delicious potato salad for your lunch! You will need the following ingredients.
2 pounds small potatoes
1 tsp of salt
4 strips of bacon
1/2 cup buttermilk
3 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp sour cream
1 tbsp dijon mustard
3 stalks of green onion – green part only
1/4 cup dill
- First take a medium pot and fill it up with water, about half of the way up;
- Put it on the stove on medium-high heat until it has a rolling boil;
- Generously salt the water;
- Add in your whole potatoes and cook them for about twelve minutes (you want them cooked through but not too soft);
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool for about five minutes before you cut them;
- While the potatoes are cooling cook your bacon on medium-high heat for about eight to ten minutes until they’re nice and crisp;
- Then drain them on a paper towel before cutting them into bits;
- And now for the sauce, take your buttermilk, mayonnaise, sour cream, and dijon mustard, and whisk it in a bowl;
- Then season it with some salt and pepper to taste;
- Now take your green onions and dill and chop them up finely;
- Take your potatoes and cut them in half, and then transfer them into a bowl;
- Add in the bacon, green onions and dill;
- Mix them;
- Finally add in your buttermilk dressing and give it a good toss;
- Your Potato Salad is ready!