Prepare Sausage and Bean Casserole with this recipe that is simple and easy to make!
Sausage & Bean Casserole
Today I’m going to show you how to make this big batch of sausage and bean casserole which can feed eight to ten people. It’s all cooked in one pan to save on the washing up and it can be made ahead too. Perfect family comfort food.
2 tbsp olive oil
20-30 depending on how hungry your family are! good quality chipolata sausages (use gluten-free chipolatas if required)
1 large red onion peeled and roughly chopped
2 red peppers deseeded and roughly chopped
20 mini chorizo the bitesize ones, chopped in half
3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried thyme
120 ml (1/2 cup) red wine (optional)
2 chicken stock cubes crumbled (replace with 2 tsp vegetable bouillon for gluten free)
3 x 400g (14 oz) tins chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g (14oz) tin haricot beans, drained and rinsed
1 x 400g (14oz) tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Start off by heating two tablespoons of olive oil in the pan.
- Add 20 chipolatas to the pan and cook them for about six to eight minutes until they’re browned all over.
- Add a diced large red onion and cook for 3 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Next in goes 2 roughly chopped red peppers and 20 bite-sized chorizzo or you can just use regular chorizzo if you like and I’ve sliced those in half.
- Cook those together for about 3 minutes.
- Add in 3 cloves of minced garlic, 2 teaspoons of paprika and a teaspoon of dried thyme stir it all together and cook for a minute, then add 120 mil or 1/2 a cup of red wine and let it bubble away for two or three minutes until reduced slightly.
- Crumble in 2 chicken stock cubes then pour in 3 400 gram or 14 ounce tins of chopped tomatoes.
- Bring that to the boil and then turn down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes we’re going to add in some tinned cannellini beans and haricot beans I’ve got a 400 gram or 14 ounce tin of each here.
- Stir it all together and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Your Sausage & Bean Casserole is ready!