Cornbread, also known as Johnny cake, is a kind of bread made with corn flour. It is characterized by being quick to prepare since it does not need fermentation, it is enough to prepare a simple corn flour dough and heat it in a pan.
I’m showing you how to make Easy Skillet Cornbread. Everybody loves cornbread. It’s super delicious and super easy to make!
½ cup butter, melted
⅔ cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup flour
½ teaspoon salt
- To start you’ll want to grab a 9 inch cast iron skillet. If you don’t have a skillet though you’ll be making this in a 9×9 pan. Then we’re gonna place it into our oven and preheat the skillet along with our oven.
- Then go ahead and preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- While the oven and skillet are preheating we can go ahead and make our cornbread batter. It starts with 1/2 cup of melted butter, so i’m gonna place my stick of butter into the bowl and then just pop it into the microwave until melted.
- Now once it’s melted we’re gonna whisk in up to 2/3 cup of sugar, and I say up to because people have pretty strong feelings about sugar in their cornbread.
- Then we’ll whisk in 2 large eggs until just combined, then we’ll add in 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda and mix that in real quick, then once that’s combined we’ll pour in 1 cup of buttermilk, and you can also use a buttermilk substitute.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 cup of all-purpose flour, and then last 1 cup of cornmeal, and we’ll stir this all together.
- Just keep mixing until everything is combined.
- Then we’ll grab our hot skillet from the oven and then we’ll pour our batter right into the hot skillet.
- Spread it out a little bit so that it covers the whole bottom of the pan and bake this in the 375 degree oven for about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Your Skillet Cornbread is ready!