Sofritas is a vegetarian protein option that is available at Chipotle Mexican Grill, a popular fast-casual restaurant chain in the United States. It was introduced in 2014 as an alternative to the chain’s meat options and is made from shredded organic tofu that is marinated and braised with chipotle chilies, roasted poblanos, and a blend of spices.
Sofritas has become a popular menu item for vegetarians and vegans, as well as people looking for a healthier or lower-calorie option. It can be ordered as a protein option in a burrito, bowl, salad, or tacos at Chipotle.
1 lb. extra-firm tofu
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp. tomato paste
2 tbsp. chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. smoked paprika
1 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the tofu and pat it dry with a paper towel. Crumble the tofu into small pieces using your hands.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the vegetable oil and crumbled tofu. Cook, stirring frequently, until the tofu is lightly browned and crisp, about 10 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the vegetable broth, tomato paste, chipotle peppers, apple cider vinegar, smoked paprika, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Add the blended sauce to the skillet with the tofu. Stir to combine.
- Transfer the tofu mixture to the prepared baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are crispy and the sauce has thickened.
- Serve the Sofritas in a burrito, bowl, salad, or tacos with your favorite toppings.