A tortilla is a pancake prepared from corn, in Mexican and Central American cuisine, where it has been a staple since ancient times.
In northern Mexico and in Tex-Mex cuisine, corn flour is replaced by wheat flour with the addition of lard or vegetable fat. These wheat tortillas are sometimes very lightly salted, which is not the case with corn tortillas.
Currently, Mexicans consume on average about 90 kilograms of tortillas per year, or nearly 250 grams per day.
Nowadays, almost all of the tortillas consumed in Mexico are produced industrially, mainly from imported corn flour and nixtamalised by multinationals such as the leader Gruma.
Tortillas serve as an accompanying starch and are used in the preparation of many antojitos.
Learn how to make your tortilla with this simple and easy recipe!
Soft Tortilla Wrap
Learn how to make a Soft Tortilla Wrap recipe that you can eat with whatever you want. Check the ingredients list and follow the preparation mode!
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tbsp oil
5 oz water
1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- In a bowl add 2 cups of flour;
- In 150 ml of water we add half a spoon of oil;
- In a bowl of flour, we are going to mix 1/4 teaspoon of salt or to taste;
- With the help of a spatula we are going to make room for the mixture of water and oil;
- We will incorporate the liquids in two parts we may not need everything;
- First to mix the dough we use the spatula so that it is not so sticky in the hand and then we continue the kneading with the hand;
- knead for about 3 or 4 minutes or until well kneaded;
- Cover and let stand for, more or less, 1 hour;
- After that hour of rest, we knead again for about 2 or 3 minutes and we let it rest for another 10 to 15 minutes;
- After resting we are going to divide the dough and form balls according to the size of tortilla that one wants;
- We will take the ball between the palms and press while we turn it;
- Press and flatten it back and forth (with light pressure) and then turn the tortilla and repeat the process again until it is very fine;
- We will turn from time to time and add flour to make it easier to flatten the tortilla;
- Ensure that the corners are also flattening out like the rest of the tortilla surface;
- We put it in a pan or griddle heated over medium to high heat;
- We turn when bubbles come out and cook for 1 minute (this is ideal, for example, for quesadillas that you reheat in the pan or oven with the filling);
- Or cook until they take color (ideal for wraps, frankie and kati roll);
- We let it cool on paper / kitchen towel so that it does not get damp from the heat;
- Once you have all the tortillas ready and cooled, we keep it in a container or on flim paper so that no air enters.
- Your Soft Tortilla Wrap is ready!