A sugar cookie is made from sugar, flour, butter, egg, vanilla, and either baking powder or baking soda. The sugar cookies are formed by hand or rolled and cut into shapes. They are commonly decorated with frosting, granules, or a combination of both. In North America, decorated sugar cookies are particularly popular during holidays like Christmas or Halloween.
In the mid-1700s, Protestant German settlers in the Nazareth area perfected a sugar cookie recipe called the Nazareth Sugar Cookie. On September 5, 2001, the State of Pennsylvania adopted the sugar cookie as their official cookie.
Sugar cookies were likely derived from an earlier cookie, a yeast-free cookie called a jumble.
Learn how to make your Sugar Cookie with this simple, easy and quick recipe!
You can make these sugar cookies with just 3 ingredients… Or 4 if you count sprinkles!
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 stick plus 2 tbsp salted butter, softened
1 cup all-purpose flour
- First add 1/3 of a cup of granulated sugar to a large bowl then add 1 stick plus 2 tbsp of softened butter.
- Use and electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy and smooth.
- Now all you need to do is add 1 cup of all purpose flour and mix again until combined.
- The texture will be slightly crumbly but that’s ok. Use you hands to form and roll 1 inch balls of dough then place them on a lined cookie sheet.
- Pat the dough down to to form discs then you can add any kind of sprinkles you like or just leave them bare. Bake at 325 F for 15 minutes.
- Your Sugar Cookie is ready!