A kebab (Persian: Kabab) is a wide variety of skewered foods that originated in the Middle East and were later adopted in the Balkans, the Caucasus and other parts of Europe, as well as in parts of southern and central Asia. In general, the term kebab, without any other qualification, is used to refer to shish kebab (in Turkish, “şiş kebap”), which is cooked on a skewer.1 However, in the Middle East the name refers to meat that It is roasted or cooked in rolls of pressed meat on a vertical stove and can be served on plates, in dürüm or lahmacun.
The traditional meat of the kebab is lamb, but depending on local tastes and religious prohibitions, today it is prepared with beef, lamb, goat, chicken, pork or fish. It is usually adipose tissue in most and although the word often sounds identical or seems to be, the skewer called kebab should not be confused with the kind of meatball called keppe, since keppe is usually based on minced or ground raw meats, although heavily marinated or macerated, the original kebab is generally seasoned with a mixture of numerous spices (ras el hanout), which include cumin, oregano, coriander, turmeric, caraway, paprika, nutmeg, cayenne and cinnamon in its basic composition. All this mixture of ingredients is crushed and added in different proportions, depending on the officiant.
Check out a great recipe for Turkish Chicken Kebabs!
Turkish Chicken Kebabs
To make your Turkish Chicken Kebabs recipe perfect, use these ingredients listed below and follow the step-by-step preparation mode.
chicken boneless 1kg
yogurt (dahi) 4 Tbs
paprika powder 1 Tsp
black pepper (kali mirch) 1/2 Tsp
chili flakes 1/2 Tsp
cumin powder (zeera) 1 Tsp
salt 3\4 tbsp (namak)
cinnamon powder 1/4 tsp (darchini)
ginger garlic paste 1 Tbs (lehson)
olive oil 1 Tbs (zaitoon ka tail)
vinegar 2 Tbs (sirka)
- Chicken boneless 1kg: cut in medium slices for best results (Meat should be dry);
- Add yogurt 4 Tbs
- Add paprika powder 1 Tsp;
- Add black pepper 1/2 Tsp;
- Add chili flakes 1/2 Tsp;
- Add cumin powder 1 Tsp;
- Add salt 3\4 tbsp;
- Add cinnamon powder 1/4 tsp;
- Add ginger garlic paste 1 Tbs;
- Add olive oil 1 Tbs;
- Add vinegar 2 Tbs;
- Mix nicely;
- Marinate 5-6 hours or over night;
- Add in skewers lenght wise;
- Brush pan with 1 tbsp oil;
- Cook on medium heat first 15 mins;
- keep changing the place as heat is more in center;
- Add 1 tbsp ketchup to marinade and apply on kebab with brush on both sides dont skip this step;
- Your Turkish Chicken Kebabs is ready!