Learn how to make delicious hot chocolate. This simple and easy-to-make recipe is perfect for the cold!
French Hot Chocolate
Rich, dark, and creamy, French hot chocolate or chocolat chaud isn’t like any hot chocolate you’ve had before.
100g dark chocolate
500ml whole milk
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp sugar
1 pinch salt
- Start by thinly chopping 100g of dark chocolate.
- Once the pieces are roughly the same size, set the chocolate aside and pour 500 ml of whole milk into a sauce pan on your stove.
- Add two cinnamon sticks and a little vanilla extract then turn the heat on the medium and begin whisking.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until the milk starts to boil and he cinnamon has infused it’s flavour into the milk. This will take roughly 10 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks, turn off the heat and add 1 tbsp of high quality cocoa powder.
- Whisk to incorporate the powder into the milk, then remove from the stovetop and strain the mixture through a sieve.
- Return the strained mixture to the stove with the heat still turned off.
- Add about a tsp of sugar (or more if you want it sweeter) as well as a pinch of salt.
- This is really important as it will enhance the flavour of the chocolate which you can add next.
- Turn the heat back on and stir until the chocolate has completely melted.
- If you like it thicker, keep cooking for a few more minutes until it reaches your desired consistency or simply remove from the heat and serve immediately.
- Your French Hot Chocolate is ready!