Salsa verde is a confusing name in various cuisines around the world, but it can be said that there are two aspects: a European one, in which the sauce is made with different aromatic herbs and combined with olive oil. It usually accompanies meat and fish; In this way, in Italy it is known as Salsa verde, in France as Sauce verte and in Germany Grüne Soße (green sauce). It is a classic of Basque cuisine. The other aspect is the American one, focused on the style of Mexican cuisine (spicier) that is used as an accompaniment to different regional dishes such as appetizers and quesadillas.
Learn how to make Salsa Verde in a simple and easy way with this recipe!
I’m gonna show you how to make a delicious homemade salsa verde in just ten minutes. Let’s get started.
10 tomatillos de-husked and quartered
1 jalapeño use half for less spicy salsa, seeded and sliced in half
2 garlic cloves unpeeled
1 poblano chile seeded and sliced in half
1/3 sprig fresh cilantro stems removed
2 tbsp lime juice approx. 1 lime
1/2 tsp sea salt
- While we prep the veggies, let’s go ahead and start preheating our broiler on high and then lining a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the husks from the tomatillos and slice into quarters, and slice the jalapeno and poblano chili’s in half and remove the seeds.
- Place the tomatillos, jalapeno, poblano chili, and unpeeled garlic cloves onto the baking sheet and place into the oven to broil for five to ten minutes or until nicely charred.
- Then transfer everything to a blender along with some fresh cilantro leaves, freshly squeezed lime juice, and sea salt.
- And don’t forget to remove the peel from the garlic at this time.
- Now blend until smooth and done.
- Your Salsa Verde is ready!